Thursday, October 27, 2011

* Evangeline's Ultimatum and Apology ("Old Harry in me, as big as a woodchuck" letter ) : Postmark, January 24, 1902, 6 PM (Note Crown Street Address: Work?)

Postmark
Jan 24 1902  6 PM
North Wilbraham

Mr. J. W. Bassett
93 Crown Street
New Haven, Conn.

My dear,
  Will you please be definite and tell me what you have decided and what I am to do about resigning? I am no better off than before I read your letter and I supposed it would be final. I am almost frantic, not knowing what to do. I do not  want to wait until the eleventh of June for it is sure to be blazing hot, and would prefer the fourth if it can possibly be arranged. If you have decided to go, at fifty dollars until Sept. why do you not tell him so and have it settled? You did not say anything any more definite  than in the previous letter. Please write a line when you receive this if you possibly can, and tell me what you are going to do. If it ["is" inserted] post-marked" "eleven A.M" I will get it at night. Let me hear if possible or I shall have nervous prostration. I love you dear. Your Evangeline
Friday, P.M.






Postmark
North Wilbraham Jan 27 1902 11AM

J. Walter Bassett
Mount Carmel
Connecticut

My darling little boy.

I do love you with all my heart and am very happy.  I am happy because I love you so much, and I am just as much more happy because you love me. And I am very happy indeed because our plans seem to be materializing. I am sorry if I made you unhappy but really did not know what to do. Our plans have been uncertain for so long. And I did not know what to do and I got all worked up and anxious over it and then the disappointment finished me, nearly, I guess. I am getting run down as I have a habit of doing every winter when I get anemia, for a few mornings ago I fainted away while I was dressing and mama says I look so cold and white. So if you will forgive me for being a foolish little girl and love me just the same, I will not be so unreasonable again. Yesterday I wrote to Miss Poland and resigned my school and this week I am going to get some medicine, and the next time you see me, my face will be as red as my waist. And I wont [sic] be worried or blue any more. It scares me a little to think that in three weeks my income will stop and there are so many things to buy. But I shall have three months in which to get rested and learn to cook. And I shall have to see the dressmaker and our rent [?]. So the time will not seem so long as it looks now. I am anxious to know what you have in mind  about a rent. If it anything that we might want, tell the man that we will be permanent tenants and get him to put it in a good condition for us.
  Your letter Friday night disappointed me for I had thought you would say that you had looked over the work with Mr. Woodruff and told him you would come, and that everything was settled and I expected you would be jubilant but you were not so at all, consequently my reply, for I did not know what to do. Mama knew the state of mind I was in when I wrote and wanted me to wait until morning for she said you would think the Old Harry [?] was in me, as big as a woodchuck. But I got your letter at the usual time 1.05, and a very dear letter it was too, and it soothed the wrinkles all out of my disposition and I wrote to Miss Poland at once. I am sorry that my letter in the middle of the week got missent and hope it will not happen again.  You did not tell me what you thought of the work, if it is going to be difficult to get accustomed to. When are you going to tell Mr. Humphreys? Do not lose your interest to the extent that they will be sorry they gave you the raise. It was fortunate that you got the cut glass when you did, or we might not have had it. What will Mr. Andrews do, and can he not work for you when you are away? I really wish we could make it the fourth June and have wondered if Mr. Andrews could not take your place at that time. Will you have any more vacation during the summer. I watched the paper quite anxiously hoping for Dr. Sims [sic] election as a solution to our problem but was disappointed. I am still at sea and we may have the sheriff after all.
I am sure I shall be contented in Mount Carmel and we will be near enough to the city to enjoy its advantages. If we can only get a desirable rent, the rest will take care of itself and we will be very happy in our little house together. You will probably come up in February, and I will come down in March and see the dressmaker and in April I must order the announcements. Then in May will be getting settled and here we are at the first of June.
I can not quite give up the brass bed and bird’s eye maple, even in consideration of the mahogany one, so as we are agreed about it, I guess we will have to have it. I hope you will answer Dr. Swett’s letter soon, and not get out of touch with everyone in the South. There will be no moon the first of June, so a sea trip would be robbed of one of its charms. We might spend a few days in the Berkshires instead or at Norfolk. What do you think? We have not considered it before because the season would not have been suitable earlier. Whatever we do, we must be quiet and alone together. I am afraid a trip to Nova Scotia would be too tantalizing, as we could not stay and that has always been one of my Meccas. And when I go I want to spend a little time. Has this letter made up for the last one?
I must write to Alice now, for I owe her about three. I love you, dear, and am very anxious for the happy time when we won’t have to write letters and get tangled up. With all my love, your happy little girl,
                     Evangeline

January, the twenty-sixth.

No comments:

Post a Comment