Sunday, October 30, 2011

* Graciously Let Down ? 1899

POSTMARK: MAY 10, 1899










POSTMARK: May 19, 1899
My dear J. Walter: -

        Another tribute of your kindness came this morning –you have ever been doing them and I have appreciated [inserted “them”] all. This cheese knife is lovely  my first, and doubtless last, gift from Tiffany’s, and I thank [sic] very, very much.
       How slow and yet how fast the time has gone since I saw you, and I have been as busy as a [“busy” crossed out] bee [inserted], and as happy. Only a week more and then this terrible function [friction? fustian?] will be over and we can all rest. J. Walter, when you marry seek “the little church round the corner” every time.[my emphasis] The marriage will be just as legal, and you will both live longer.
        I shall never forget you, dear old friend of mine and may “Sweetness” ever live in your memory.  We have had many a pleasant time together, haven’t we?
        Forever your sincere friend,

                                               Grace Genevieve Pierpont
                                         North Haven, Connecticut
                                                May nineteenth, 1899





No comments:

Post a Comment