Friday, November 18, 2011

* " . . .twenty-one days and we will be on our honeymoon trip." May 30, 1902



May 30, 1902 Postmark North Wilbraham
(Evangeline)


My dearest sweetheart,

            This time I am not going to threaten for I do not carry out my threats, but I fear that you will not get a letter longer than the one I received this noon. It is just eight o’clock, and I have two letters to write after this.  We have just finished mama’s dress, and it is a relief. We have worked on it so long, and yesterday everything bothered and had to be done over. Last evening I went to the Dumonds [?] and when I came home I had to go to bed to get warm. I took the hot water bag and it was so hot that I couldn’t touch it, and it leaked and the room was so cold that I couldn’t get up to see about it, so I poked it to the side of the bed and let it leak. This forenoon I packed a barrel of fruit cans both empty and full, and from the length of  time which it took, I see very plainly that one day will not be long enough for us to get ready for the mover, for we want everything done when they come. If you feel that you can take Wednesday, we can do it comfortably in two days and then have the movers come Wednesday morning, then we ought to be able to go in the city if we have any more selections to make. If we move Tuesday we will have to work awfully hard and I doubt if we could get ready. I have seen the man about putting on our screen door and when he gets here I shall engage him for Monday. We have engaged a man to come the previous Friday and take up and clean the carpets and he will come without fail, unless as he said, he gets a “steady job”—I have not had time this week to write any invitations, but must begin them tomorrow, and Saturday I shall try to go to Springfield and see about the carpet and the hats. Do you have a holiday tomorrow? I think they are too stingy with holidays -- This morning Mrs. Gates was in and spoke about the house being painted.  They were to begin about now, but the rain prevented. We asked how long it would take them and she said not less than two weeks as it has to have three coats.  So we told her we didn’t want it done for they wouldn’t be through and the blinds would be off and the house full of flies.  So she said she would tell Mr. Gates, and I am pretty disgusted. Only twenty –one days and we will be on our honeymoon trip, and it will be light enough to take pictures.  Do not be troubled about me, dearie, I am neither ill or disappointed in you. I am only tired and have been fretted by so many things, and when I think of the things to be done in the sixteen more days [bold is my emphasis], it makes me feel like flying. I do love you, dearest, very dearly, but you know I cannot talk about the things which lie deep, and so I suppose that is what makes me so queer as the time draws near. Please see about the ticket as soon as you can, as he [?] may come early  to see his Springfield friends or perhaps Commencement. I am sorry you have a cold, and wish I could nurse you. I already have one patient, as mama has taken one too and is coughing a good deal. Tell me about the whist and what luck you had. Of course I am willing to invite Preston’s sister [is Preston Cousin Illegible?] should he come, or she care to do so.  If you wish it, send  here name and address next time. The running time of the trolleys has been changed  and now they leave Springfield at twenty-eight minutes past, and fifty-eight of the hour. [sic] Be sure and tell your people who will come that way. I will take this to the office now and write the others when I get home. Goodnight, dearie, I do love you and shall be very happy when I am your little wife.

Your own

Evangeline

[folded children's drawing enclosed in envelope]

No comments:

Post a Comment